Letheringsett Water Mill
Value for Money
Riverside Rd, Letheringsett, Holt, Norfolk, NR25 7YD
Tel 01263 713153
Entry Price Not listed
Opening Hours Mon-Fri 9:00-16:00; Sat 9:00-13:00
Trip Advisor Rating 3/5
While on holiday in Norfolk this summer, we also visited Letheringsett Watermill; a fully working watermill producing 3 tons of stoneground flour a week.
The mill itself is 211 years old but is built on the site of a mill listed in the domesday book of 1086 as Leringaseta. In 1384, it was recorded that John de Keyly and William de Gatele bought 30 acres of arable land, 8.5 acres of pasture and a water mill. In 1550, the mill was recorded as being owned by John Brytwiss and in 1714 by Thomas Bately. Somewhere after 1720 the water mill burnt down. In 1754, the water mill was rebuilt by John Priest, the new owner. The mill passed through several more owners until in 1800 Richard Rouse built the Mill House, now known as Glaven Side. Within two years, the mill had burned to the ground again, only to be rebuilt again in 1802 exactly as it stands now. In 1826, the mill became the Hardy property, and still belongs to this family even now.
In the first room you enter through the shop, there are the sluice gates used to control the water flow into the mill, as well as the water wheel. There was a cog pit, around which where two shutes that bring flour from the stone floor to be sold. Up the stairs was a selection of mill stones, including a set of French burr stones weighing one ton each that are over 200 years old, this stone was last quarried in the Napoleonic revolution. Originally, the mill would have had four working sets of these stones.
On the next floor, the bin floor, was a collection of artefacts as well as pictures from the mill’s past, including it’s restoration after severe flooding. One timber post found after a flood in August 1912, had been placed back in it’s original position to highlight the watermarks.
Another interesting story is that of the Mill House Clock, which was originally hung on the living-room wall of the mill house in the 1930’s. The home belonged to the miller at that time, Edward Cracknell and his wife, Ethel. The mill house had three rooms on the ground floor and three bedrooms above. The clock hung on the wall of the living-room, next to the kitchen. In 1927, Edward had a heart attack and died very suddenly. Ethel became the miller in his place and carried on the work of the mill. She continued to run the mill, with help, until her death in 1956. The clock is now hung in the water mill.
The official website for the water mill can be found here.